The cycle of studies leading to the doctoral degree in Educational Sciences has the duration of 3 years (full-time schedule), which corresponds to 180 ECTS. This cycle of Studies is primarily aimed at the development of: systematic understanding capabilities in a scientific field of study; research competencies, skills and methods associated with a scientific field; the ability to conceive, design, adapt and perform significant research, respecting the requirements imposed by the academic standards for quality and integrity. This cycle of studies includes the development of an original and especially designed thesis for this purpose, appropriate to the knowledge branch and doctoral speciality. Although there is no mandatory curriculum component, doctoral students may be advised to do some course units, selected according to the applicant's training and research work to be developed.
APPLICATIONS (11 to 20 april 2023) - with curricular component
Ph.D. in EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES (without a curricular component)
6 curricular semesters
Gualtar Campus, Braga (UM)
Institute of Education
Campus de Gualtar
The course promotes a training profile centered on the capacity for epistemological and methodological reflection around educational phenomena, and also on the ability to investigate and intervene in educational contexts, involving advanced knowledge of paradigms, theories and respective conceptual apparatus in a particular specialty of PhD, as well as the design and development of research projects in education in this specialty, producing new knowledge in compliance with ethical standards and critically responding to socio-educational challenges.
Key learning outcomes
1. Know conceptual and methodological frameworks in the field of Educational Sciences in terms of a research object;
2. Design an innovative research project suited to the nature of Education Sciences in the context of training highly qualified professionals;
3. Contribute critically and fundamentally to the analysis and discussion of issues related to Educational Sciences in professional action contexts;
4. Develop investigative, ethical and training skills in order to disseminate research results in the academic community and in society;
5. Develop intervention skills within the scope of specialized professional actions, by transposing and recontextualizing the knowledge produced through research.
Access to higher education
Completion of this doctoral course allows carrying out a post-doctoral research activity.
Research functions; differentiated activities for the design and development of research projects in education; direction of education, training and socio-educational intervention projects and activities that mobilize scientific knowledge and research results; scientific advice to institutions, programs and projects.
Access to this cycle of studies requires an application to the Institute of Education of the University of Minho.
This information does not replace consultation of the Academic Regulations of the University of Minho and other official documents.
1. Candidates who hold a degree and master’s degree in the areas defined by the Scientific Council for each of the specialties may be admitted.
2. Holders of a degree who hold a particularly relevant school or scientific curriculum recognized by the SC of IE as attesting the ability to carry out this cycle of studies may be admitted.
3.In the specialties in question, the holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized by the SC as attesting the ability to carry out this cycle of studies may also be admitted to the competition in this specialty.
4. In addition to the admission criteria mentioned, in some specialties candidates must, under penalty of exclusion, possess mastery, oral and written, of the Portuguese language.
5. Only candidates who obtain at least 50 points (on the scale from 0 to 100) will be admitted in the set of serial criteria.
Recommended prerequisites relate to the autonomy of students, and preferably to the mastery of the reading, writing and speaking skills in one or more languages other than Portuguese. It is also relevant to hold a master's degree and/or professional or research practice of high merit.
When applicable, the elective curricular units available as well as the registration conditions and the number of vacancies will be indicated annually.
A3ES Accreditation status:
Resolution publication date:
Registry number at Ministry: